Monday, June 16, 2008

Inconveniences

I had another medical scare this weekend. I woke up on Saturday morning at 5 a.m. with all the symptoms of food poisoning. I will spare you the details, but it was not pretty. By 11 a.m., I was calling my doctor's after hours clinic for advice. They told me to come in immediately for I.V. fluids.

I have been poked and prodded so much lately, that I am becoming immune. An I.V. sounded good at my stage in the game. (You know I must have been sick if I was welcoming a needle!) As it turns out, they gave me a shot of Phenergan (and some suppositories as a party favor) and let me sleep. Once the vomitting (TMI, I know) subsided, I was able to go home.

This morning, I was thinking about the last couple of weeks and all the "inconveniences" my health has caused: I had to use all of my sick time at work, Olivia missed a birthday party that she was really looking forward to, and Adam has really had to step it up on the housework. (There is more but I won't bore you with the details.) I could really be fed up right now, but instead I am ever so grateful. An appendectomy, an alarming picture of the right ovary(thanks to my surgeon for catching that even though it turned out to be just a ruptured cyst) and food poisoning are so minor in comparison to what others are facing right now. Inconveniences? Most certainly. But no more than that.

My point in all of this, I guess, is to say that I am thankful for the cards that I have been dealt. I don't like being sick, but if I am going to be ill, at least it is minor and with things that can be easily treated. Sometimes we let the small stuff cause us big pain, but if we take the time to put things into perspective then they aren't such big problems after all.

Just to be safe, I think I will be shopping at Whole Foods for the next couple of weeks. At least until my tummy starts feeling better.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wise words, especially the part about Whole Foods. Stay away from that seafood, gal. DOD

Elissa said...

We are glad that you are feeling better. Stay away from tomatoes too. They say many are safe, but I am not taking any chances. Not worth it in my opinion! See you in a little over two weeks.

RachelShingleton said...

You are an encouragement to me; seems like I've always got some random health thing going on! It can get really frustrating and make you feel like you're going nutso. Thanks for the reminder to keep it all in perspective.