Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Boating?

This morning I asked Olivia if she wanted me to take her directly to Sarwat's house or if she would like to go with me to vote.

She said, "Boating, like will there be water there?"

I said, "No, vuh-vuh-VOTING! We write on paper who we are voting for."

She said, "Will they have snacks there?"

Good question...it would make voting much nicer!

I said "Maybe a water fountain. No snacks."

She said "Okay, let's go vote."

And so Olivia had her first experience at the polls. We waited patiently in the long line at the church near our house. She carried her baby doll and stood quietly the entire time. When our turn came she assisted me in completing our bubbles on the ballot, put our ballot carefully into the machine and took an "I Voted" sticker for her shirt!

I started thinking about the last time we elected a president, Olivia was just a glimmer in my eye. Now I have a little citizen to raise, nurture, and teach. It was really a neat experience, even if she did originally think that we were going to the lake!

1 comment:

The Shingletons said...

Hey, I was nosing through your blogs today and came upon your friends, "The Purnells". What a moving story. Her story really touched me and I have been praying for her. She seems to be amazingly strong. Please tell her thanks for sharing her story.
Shawnah