Thursday, June 25, 2009

Farewell


Today has been a crazy day in entertainment news. This morning I got an e-mail from US Weekly reporting that Farrah Fawcett had died. I have been checking my e-mails and news websites daily since Farrah's Story aired last month. I knew she was in bad shape and just wanted to follow her last days. I think her fight against cancer was courageous and heroic. Her documentary was an inspiration for cancer survivors and their families everywhere.  I am sad for Ryan O'Neal, Redmond, and her entire family. As they have said all over the news, she was an "angel" on earth and now an angel in Heaven. 




After hearing about Farrah, I took a nap and woke up to the news that Michael Jackson had suffered a heart attack. Not too long after that, the news came that Michael had passed. 

I know Michael Jackson has been controversial in past years, but I don't think his greatness as a musician can be argued. I will never forget getting my first MJ album when I was in elementary school. It was a record (I am old) and I danced my heart out to Thriller! His music and appearance changed so much over the years, not always for the better... but as news of his death circulated I couldn't think of anything but:

I'm Starting With The Man In
The Mirror
I'm Asking Him To Change
His Ways
And No Message Could Have
Been Any Clearer
If You Wanna Make The World
A Better Place
Take A Look At Yourself, And
Then Make A Change

Michael Jackson was certainly not a role model. He had his share of demons, but he also had a great message through his music. He was, as the news has said over and over again tonight, an American Icon. 

1 comment:

Johnson Boys said...

oh no I guess that means I am much older than you.. I got his first album in Middle School.YIKES!! I think I even had Parachut pants that looked like his.. I agree it is so sad and that we all grew up with him no matter his personal life we can all listen to one of his songs and it so takes us back. Thanks MJ for the great memories.