Thursday, July 24, 2008

Is It Bad If...

...My toddler easily recognizes Starbuck's and regularly asks to go there? I propose this question because Olivia regularly asks me if we can go to Starbuck's. Currently her "fix" is a tall, organic, chocolate milk, but I can see where this is headed. Soon it will be a frappucino and then venti lattes... As if I don't already spend enough of my hard earned $$$ at Starbucks! (This is all my fault!)

...I allow my almost 3-year old child to have a pacifier? This is our little secret, dear blogger. Olivia still has to have a pacifier. Last night, after ballet class, I put her in the car seat and she immediately asked for the "bop." I felt like I was on some sort of secret mission as I carefully covered the "bop" with my hands and guided it into hers. I warned her "do not put that in your mouth until we drive away!" I didn't want the other mom's to see her with a pacifer in her mouth. How embarrassing! At least I am not breastfeeding her, right? (I know! I know! This is all my fault!)

...I like letting Olivia sleep in bed with me? I know! She should be sleeping in her own bed. The other mom's at dance were talking about how nice it was to put their girls down at 8:30 p.m. and have some time to themselves. Me? I would rather torture myself with an over-tired toddler until 10:30 p.m. when she gets in bed with me. (This is totally my fault!)

I know that all of these things are minor. Some may even call them cute! I was just thinking last night about all the so-called "rules" of raising a child and how I must break at least half. I am not ready to call in Super Nanny or anything...we pretty much have the behavior thing under control, but as far as spoiling...I am so guilty!

4 comments:

Amy H said...

It's only bad if it doesn't work for you. Otherwise, whatever you decide to do (anything that works for you and your family) is perfect.
Avery will probably suck her thumb until she leaves for college.
But the sleeping thing...I don't know how you do it. If I didn't have that time between 8pm and when I go to bed, I think I would go crazy. You are a better woman than I am, that's for sure!

Elissa said...

I think Olivia is great, and she will give up the bop at some point. You don't see kindergardeners sucking on a bop. As far as Starbucks goes, it is a sign of the times I am afraid. Once they started with the Horizons organics...the kids were totally in!

mom said...

Lauren, Don't sweat the small stuff. Olivia is a very good little girl. All of these things will pass very quickly. She does not sleep in your bed every night. She goes to bed by herself many evenings. Give yourself a break girl. You take care of a home, you have a full time job, a great husband who loves ans upports you and a wonderufl little girl. How lucky you are! Love, mom

The Shingletons said...

Sounds like "our" boys. Look at where Kent wrote about it on our blog. http://shingletonfamily.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2007-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-06%3A00&updated-max=2008-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-06%3A00&max-results=37

Copy and paste this and go to the one that says Starbucks, Moes and Pei Wei. It cracks me up how they want this instead of McDonalds.

Love catching up with you. Praying for you mom.
shawnah