Thursday, October 9, 2008

Eulogy

Several people have asked about what I said at my mother's funeral. So I thought I would post:

A little over a year ago, I sat by my mother's side as she was prepped for what was to be a rountine hysterectomy. 8 hours later I stood at her bedside, holding her hand, as I explained to her that she had cancer.

A little over a month ago, I came home to Dallas to take my mother to what should have been a routine chemo treatment. This time, I sat at her bedside as her doctor explained that her cancer had spread and that she had about 2 days to live. As many of you know, she did not live 2 days but 34.

Her battle with cancer was not an easy one. I heard her talking to herself on more than one occasion saying "be strong girl, you can do it." I have found those words to be encouraging in the days since my mother passed away. She would not want to see her children defeated or given up.

My mother fought cancer the way she did not because she was afraid of dying, but because she loved living. Her family, friends, colleagues and students were her reasons for living, but most importantly, she fought because she was our mother and a nana. She loved me, Elissa, Brian, Olivia, and Reagan more than anything else. She fought for us.

My mother was a crusader of hope and a child of Christ and I have no doubt that she is with him now.

She taught me that all good teachers challenge their students, so in honor of her, I pose this challenge to all of you gathered here today: We can leave this place sad and broken or we can leave today rejoicing my mother's life and her triumphs over cancer and death. Whatever your struggles may be, whether today, tomorrow, or days and days from now: I encourage you all to remember her words, "Be strong, you can do it!"

2 comments:

Amy H said...

So beautifully written.

Elissa said...

You did awesome. Mom would/is proud. :-) Love you.