Friday, December 19, 2008

20 Little Things to Treasure at Christmas

*My little list was inspired by "The Inspired Room."

1) I absolutely love how Olivia is so interested in Jesus and the story of his birth. We talk about it everyday!


2) I like how everyone seems to have a little swing in their step. People are sharing little holiday treats around the office and if you duck out early, no one seems to mind!

3) Opening Christmas cards and seeing photos of friends and family throughout the year. I have all of mine on display in my living room and I sent out over 100 cards this year!

4) Christmas cookies. All of them. I think I gain 5 to 10 pounds every year.

5) I love the hustle and bustle at the shopping malls. Even though it can get choatic, I like that everyone is there for the same reason. We are all trying to pick out just the right gift for someone that we care about!

6) I love Christmas music. There is a local radio station that starts playing Christmas music a month before Christmas (that was even before Thanksgiving this year) and they play it 24:7 until December 26th. My station never changes until December 26th.

7) Holiday T.V. commercials. I am not a huge T.V. watcher, but I am a sucker for the holiday commercials showing families gathered together in plaid sweaters, opening gifts, and drinking hot chocolate!

8) Speaking of T.V., I do like the Christmas specials that come on year after year. Charlie Brown, Rudolph, Frosty the Snowman, The Grinch, and of course, the lighting of the tree in Rockafeller Center.

9) Peppermints! I love peppermint bubble bath, candy canes, peppermint coffee and hot chocolate. If it has peppermint then I am in!


10) Choir programs at church and school. There is nothing like hearing Christmas carols sung by a real live choir.

11) Coming home to find packages or sweet treats left on the doorstep. Today I came home to both!


12) I love that there were no angels left on the Salvation Army Giving Tree at our local mall and that everytime I see a toy donation barrel, it is overflowing. Even in these hard economic times!

13) Family. Christmas is a time for sharing and being with people that we love.


14) Christmas is also a time to remember those that will not be with us, but who are celebrating with Jesus in Heaven.

I lost my mom this year, but know that she will be celebrating Christmas in a big way with her Lord and Savior.

15) Stockings. Christmas stockings are so fun. I love looking at other people's stockings hanging from their mantles. I also LOVE waking up on Christmas day to little treats from "Santa!"

16) I love watching the Santa radar with Olivia. We always check to see where Santa has been and where he is headed before we go to sleep on Christmas Eve.

Yes, that's the burnt orange tower you see!

17) I treasure going to church on Christmas Eve. My mother always included church as a part of our Christmas Eve tradition. It just doesn't seem like Christmas Eve to me unless we attend a service.

18) Our children and the magic that they bring to Christmas. It is amazing how the light in a child's eyes can put everything into perspective!

19) Christmas decorations. I have somewhat worn this one out with all of my "decor" posts, but I love having my home decorated for Christmas. I put decorations up early and take them down at the last minute...usually Jan 1st or 2nd.

20) Lastly, I treasure Jesus Christ for whom we celebrate Christmas. Without God's son, we would have no reason to celebrate.

God Bless and Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

teacupsandpoodles said...

I enjoyed reading your list! Very nice!
Mary Ann

The Shingletons said...

WE soooo need to live closer to each other!! I LOVE all the same things! Find Kent a job and us a house and we'll be in Austin! Love you and I am praying for you this season.