Wednesday, April 9, 2008

My Most Favorite Radio DJ

As some of you may remember, I wrote several weeks ago about a particularly "dumb" radio DJ on one of my favorite pop stations. (During the height of the Eliot Spitzer scandal, he made a comment about his wife burning his Exterra if she caught him cheating. Yeah, that's the one!)He has amazed me, yet again, with his intelligence and of course I am going to tell you all about it...

Let me start by saying that I, in no way, feel that radio personalities have to be book smart. I understand that they get their jobs based on their abilities to attract an audience and score high ratings for the station. In addition, we all have our moments of "stupidity." So I was willing to forgive DJ Tony for his thoughtless remarks in regards to his wife burning the car. My "beef" is now with the people at the station responsible for editing pre-recorded commercial spots that the DJ's are paid to present.

It all started on Sunday when I was driving home from Houston. I got to the little city between Houston and Austin that starts picking up the Austin radio stations. I flipped to my pop station and heard DJ Tony doing a commercial for laser hair removal. He is talking about how laser hair removal is a much better gift than flowers because flowers die and laser hair removal lasts a lifetime. Never mind the time it takes to have your hair lasered off or the pain, rashes, and limited sun exposure that go along with it. (I digress!) Anyhow in the midst of his spiel, he says that laser hair removal is better than a "Bow-Ket" of flowers. A "Bow-Ket?" Did no one catch this when reviewing his recording? How embarrassing for him and annoying to his listeners who are subjected to hearing his pronunciation error time and time again as the commercial plays at least once every hour on this most popular station.

So this is my first "BEEF."

Next up...

DJ Tony Does It AGAIN!

In another pre-recorded commercial, DJ Tony is doing a promotional spot for a bartending school. He tells his personal story of working his way through college as a bartender. (That's right folks, he is college educated!) He goes on to say that he had to work his way through college because he was "not fed with silver spoon as a child." I am being ultra critical. I know! But... did anyone listen to this before putting it into the rotation to be played over and over again during the afternoon rush hour? Obviously what DJ Tony is trying to say is that he was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He somehow fouled it up and no one has stopped the rotation or bothered to ask him about re-recording the spot. ANNOYING!

I, along with everyone else, make my share of mistakes. I bring these silly radio errors up because people are in such a hurry that they don't bother to check their work. Now, because of someones failure to edit, DJ Tony will forever be known as the guy that sends "bow-kets" of flowers and "wasn't fed with a silver spoon as a child."

I know! I know! I should probably be known as the super critical gal that nit-picks the radio DJ and makes her own mistakes all the time.

To that... I say "fair enough."

1 comment:

Elissa said...

I hear stuff like this on the radio a lot, and I just wonder who has the editing job. With that said, I am the English teacher who consistantly uses poor grammar in speaking myself, but then I correct my students. HA.