Thursday, April 17, 2008

Uganda Children's Choir and Tubee?



Last night our church held a special concert. The Hope For Africa Children's Choir from the East Africa UMC Conference performed. The children range in age from 5 to 12. All of these children have faced great adversities and are still full of energy and hope. There was not one child in the group of 23 that had not lost at least one parent to disease, war, or civilian terror.

A particular little girl stood out to me. She was one of the tallest girls and stood in the back of row. She smiled and danced and sang her little heart out. Towards the end of the performance, she was asked to come and talk to the congregation. It took her a moment to collect her thoughts. (She had probably never talked in front of that many people in her life!) She told of being on her mother's back as a young child and walking through the streets in Africa. Her mother was attacked a killed while carrying her child ON HER BACK! This little girl was found lying in a bush hiding next to her mother's body. A good Samaritan took her in and has raised her. She wants to be a bishop in the United Methodist Church when she grows up. Amazing!

All of these children are poverty stricken. Most of them have lost both parents.

Seeing these children and hearing their stories made me think about how truly lucky we are. I worry about trivial things like whether Olivia's clothes match and if her hair bow coordinates. These kids worry about where their next meal will come from and if someone else that they love will soon die from HIV or Malaria. We have it so good!

We left the performance last night feeling energized and grateful. When we got home, Adam said "Boy, the stories of those kids make the stresses of work seem silly and non-existent!" So true!

When we got home, I began focusing some of my positive energy on laundry, straightening the house, and tidying up the kitchen. Adam came into the bedroom and began putting away the folded clothes and tidying the bedroom. Around 9:30 p.m., I went into our bathroom to fill the tub for Olivia's bath and....





That's right folks! Tubee and Tish had been discarded. I stopped dead in my tracks. I looked at the roll. I looked in the trash. I was in SHOCK. I came out of the bathroom and asked Adam "Did someone tell you to change the toilet paper roll?" He said "No why?" (Puzzled?) Then the whole "Tubee Chronicle" came pouring out. The Husband Experiment, the Blog, the Days in Counting...he was less than excited! I admit, I would be upset too if he were chronicling my untidy habits.(Not that there are any!) Anyway, he got over it pretty quickly and as we were getting ready to turn out the lights he said "So, how many days had it been since I changed the roll?"

I grinned. Who's counting anyway?

4 comments:

Johnson Boys said...

Damn Adam has goon CRaZyy... glad you can use the potty sucessfully in your own bathroom now. LOL. sheww with all that work accomplished no telling what he can get done over the weekend..take that boy back to church more often. He can come clean my house :0)

Elissa said...

I am sorry to see Tubee and Tish go, but I bet they are living happily in Tubee heaven. Whatever will you blog about now?

The Shingletons said...

So funny! I love the Tubee and Tish story! I also love the Olivia/Sissy drama. I think she'll be fine. She can still be called Olivia at othere places. (I must admit I love the name Olivia). I have been called "Sis" my whole life. I call my girls Sissy also. She can choose what she wants to be called as she gets older. Molly has decided to be McKenna at times. (Her middle name)
She signed McKenna to her papers at tutorial and the teacher asked me if I knew who that student was. Anyway, I don't think you have traumatized her! It is so good to know that you have a blog. I will keep up with you. Did you see that Jared has a blog also? You can link to it off of mine. We are both pretty bad about updating. You and Adam still need to make a trip to Nashville. It would be fun. Hey! Some of our closest friends are moving to Austin. They are like family to us. It's the little boys that you saw on my blog. Check out the Ivey family blog or Aaron at Spur58 blog links. Aaron is going to be minister to musicians at a church there. I'm not sure the name. I'll find out. they meet in a school, but have about 5000 who attend. where are ya'll? Sorry this is so long! YEA! I'm glad you found me :) shawnah

The Shingletons said...

If you're coming, I'll do what I can to make sure I'm here!!! YEA! I'll get you more info on the Ivey's. You would love them! shawnah (how did you get the cute people??)