Thursday, April 3, 2008

Sissy Shingleton

Today when we got to school, Olivia's teacher asked me if she had a nickname.

Ms.T: "What is Olivia's middle name?

Me: "Jane."

Ms.T: "Do you ever call her Olivia Jane?"

Me: "No."

Ms.T: "We have too many Olivia's in our class and they are all confused when we call their name."

Me: "We call her Livvie."

Ms.T: "The other Olivia goes by Livvie and she has been here longer."

Me: "I call her Sissy."

Ms.T: "Can we call her Sissy too?"

Me: "Olivia, can they call you Sissy?"

Olivia: **Head Nods...Big Smile

Ms.T: "Can we change her name on the wall, cubbie, etc... to say Sissy?"

Me: "Ok, whatever works!"

So, I guess Olivia has become "Sissy."

When I got to work, I was telling my co-workers about the "Sissy" drama and they assured me that I had just "cursed" her for life. Thanks for nothing! I was thinking that I had done her a favor. It could have been worse. I could have said that we called her "Tooty" or "Stinky," right? I only had 2 seconds to think about it. Should I have said "Liv" and if so, would it have been approved?

Sissy Spacek is a great actress and she has lived with "Sissy" just fine. (At least as far as I know!) Then there are those stars with really cute names like "Busy Phillips" who got her name when she was little for being so "busy." And of course, "Miley Cyrus" who got her name because she was "Smiley Miley." (She was born Destiny Hope Cyrus...I would change my name to Miley too!) Should I have tried harder to come up with something original and cute? Don't get me wrong, I love "Sissy." I am Aunt Sissy to Reagan and Elissa is Sissy to me and Aunt Sissy to Olivia, but that is just our affectionate name for one another, not on our nametags at school/work. Oh well, I just have to hope that she really likes being called "Sissy." She did flash that big grin when she heard Ms. T call her "Sissy!"

****

Andy (the cat) made it through surgery just fine. He has quite a few stitches in his neck and he looks thin, but hopefully he will not develop any more tumors.

3 comments:

Elissa said...

She will be okay being Sissy for a while (at least I think so). She can be Olivia again when she starts kindergarten. I miss my Sissy.

Unknown said...

Check out this link

http://www.nowtexas.org/nowblog/archives/2006/09/meet_sissy_farenthold.html

Unknown said...

OK, I guess the whole link didn't come through. So instead google "Sissy Farenthold"