Sunday, March 23, 2008

Grandpa Fink

My Grandpa Fink passed away yesterday (Saturday, March 22nd) after a short, but courageous battle with cancer. Grandpa was diagnosed in November shortly after is 88th birthday. He underwent chemo and radiation knowing that the cancer he had was incurable. He was willing to endure the pain of therapy in hopes of prolonging his life. Unfortunately the cancer was too strong and Grandpa passed away peacefully in his sleep sometime early Saturday morning. I am deeply saddened to have lost my Grandpa, but I am also so thankful for the 30 1/2 years that I got to spend with him.

Adam and I went to visit Grandpa in the hospital last month and he was just as stubborn and funny as ever. When we got ready to leave, I leaned over and kissed him on the forehead. I said "I love you Grandpa!" And his last words to me were "I love you too!" He was not the type of man to show his emotions outwardly so, I am comforted and ever so thankful that our last exchange was one of love and compassion. As we left the hospital that day, I promised that I would return in a couple of weeks to give him a pedicure. (He was in desperate need of some exfoliation and a toe nail trim.) Unfortunately, I didn't get back to Houston in time for that last pedicure, but I know deep in my heart...he wouldn't have liked it anyway!

No comments: