Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Martha Shingleton? Lauren Stewart?

I got a little crazy last night and decided to make several recipes out of a new cookbook that I picked up at HEB last week. (Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook) I made pumpkin pancakes, strawberry crepes, sesame shrimp stir fry, and THE BEST EGG SALAD. (All made with low-fat, low-cal substitutes) I have never been a huge egg salad fan but I thought that I would give it a try. It sounded good last night. I was bored without American Idol on T.V. I am channeling Easter or something. Anyway, I am going to have to put a padlock on the fridge to keep Adam out. As I explained to Adam this morning (while he was scarfing an egg salad sandwich), it is only low-fat if you watch your portion size. The small little bowl is supposed to make 6 servings. In "Adam World," the bowl was one portion...for him.

Even if you are not an egg salad fan, I would suggest giving this one a try. You won't be disappointed.

Special Egg Salad
(shout out to Judy Nissen who submitted the recipe to the above mentioned cookbook)

3 oz. reduced fat or fat free cream cheese (*This is the key, I think!)
1/4 c. fat free mayo
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
6 hard boiled eggs, chopped

Beat the cream cheese until smooth. Mix in mayo, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper. Fold in eggs. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Serve on toast, crackers, etc...

No comments: