Wednesday, March 5, 2008

School Days


With mixed emotions, I accepted Olivia's place at a new daycare/school yesterday. I say with "mixed emotions" because I am sad to think that my little baby is going to be going to school. I know that it really is "daycare," but she will have a folder, do projects, have a cafeteria menu, etc...All of the things that big girls have for school. She has been going to Sarwat's house since she was 9 weeks old. She has been raised with most of the children there. Sarwat has been an excellent "second mommy," teacher, and caretaker, but it is time. Sarwat is expecting a baby in May and will be taking some time off. And Olivia really is ready for more structure in her learning. I think that she will enjoy meeting new kids and adding more routines to her day. The new school is quite a distance from our house, but on my way to work. So I will take on the task of taking her and picking her up daily (Adam and I alternate currently). I am taking her to meet her new teacher, Ms. Tracy and see her new classroom Friday. I know all of this is a good thing, but change is always hard. I expect that even though she is excited about school, she will miss Sarwat and her friends. She will, no doubt, have to adjust to the school routine as well.

Maybe, just maybe, it's silly to have put so much thought into this daycare thing. I need to adjust to the fact that my little baby is growing up. She will probably handle things just fine and LOVE school. Me, well, I am not so sure. Time flies. That is for certain.

No comments: